Confederate Bishop

Drums and Flag

The Confederate Bishop consists of the Confederate ‘Southern Cross’ battle flag, three snare drums, drumsticks and a bugle.

The battle flag of the Confederacy has become one of the most identifiable emblems in the world. The battle flag with the regimental battle honours stitched on to the cloth was a symbol of great pride for the regiment. Although a dangerous and sometimes deadly position it was regarded and considered a great honour to be part of the colour guard.

The first Confederate battle flags were made from silk, but as time went on silk became scarce. By 1862 Wool bunting a longer lasting and more durable material was used. From then on all National and battle flags were made from Wool bunting. The ‘Southern Cross’ battle flags issued to the regiments of the Army of Northern Virginia were third Bunting issue style 1862-64.

The drums and bugles were ways both armies communicated their orders over the noise of battle. The men had to learn a confusing array of drums rolls and bugle calls, the men would learn to go from line of battle to column, column to line, close ranks, open ranks, advance, retreat, reveille (get up) and go to bed (lights out). There where roughly 15 general drum rolls and about 26 bugle calls, each with there own specific command.

Weight in Bronze 77.961g (2¾oz)

Height 7.3 cm (2 7/8 inches)